My thoughts on life... husband, dogs, people, work, travel

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Books I Adore

Thank God I went to a school where teacher librarians were valued (It was an extremely religious school so I am not being blasphemous). My first librarian was a woman named Christobel Mattingly. She was the person who introduced me to great picture books when I was five years of age. These books played a major role  influencing  me  in certain areas that shall become known for the rest of my life. She went on to be a successful author in her own right and I have read many of her books to children in my class.



My first and most favourite picture book was Angus and the Ducks written by Majorie Flack. It was not a new book when I was five (1967), being first published in 1930. I have loved that little dog ever since. I had set in my mind that that dog was going to be mine. In 2004 I finally found my first little Scottish terrier, Haggis. He took 5 years of solid searching to find but the desire for him had been brewing for over 35 years. Suddenly we aquired Flora, and have one of their progeny Dougal. My Scotty dogs are a very important part of my life bringing me continual happiness and joy by watching their antics.





Other picture books that I loved was The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck by Beatrix Potter and The Story of Ping again by Majorie Flack. My love of ducks had begun. I collected statues, named cats Jemima and probably would have named a child that too. It was only when we moved to a tiny mining town of Warrego in the NT that I finally could have a pet duck. Not a puddle duck, but a beautiful black duckling that we  named Brutus. He also got himself a harem of girls too. Brutus was the best drake. He was always by my side in the garden, enjoyed being hand fed,  and just loved to chat to us. He moved with us all around the NT and won numerous awards at agricultural shows culminating in winning the prestigous Waterfowl of the Year at the Royal Darwin Show.


Other picture books that I loved as a child included Harry the Dirty Dog, The House of Four Seasons, and ABC by Brian Wildsmith.





I have copies of all of these books and use them in my teaching every year. It really helps show the power of the pen and how a good story can be shared over and over again, even if its set in a different era.


When surfing around the net I found a copy of Angus and the Ducks on the Chinese equivalent of youtube. If you have the time, have a look. I love the way its been set to the era the story was written in with vintage cars, clothing, and style.



Does anyone else have a picture book that has secured a place in their life from a young age?

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. I used to love reading the Beatrix Potter books to our girls when they were little, we had the complete set.
    Thankyou and Welcome to News From Italy as a follower, I do hope you will ejoy sharing our little piece of Italy.

    ReplyDelete