My thoughts on life... husband, dogs, people, work, travel

Saturday 2 April 2011

FLOCK!!! Oh What a Night

Last night, there was a performance of FLOCK in Horsham, located in the Wimmera area of Victoria. This was a massive puppet show put on for the Art Is...  festival. This year the theme was Art Is ... Under Our Sky.



I was one of the puppeteers, along with many of my students. One of the first tasks was to create a puppet: to be specific a long billed corella. This was the beginning of Strewth and Bruce.

Strewth and Bruce are the creations that Neil and I made. Long-billed corellas they are not. For some reason making a long bill did not work out, so ours became short billed corellas with the most flittery, fluttery feathers.



We didn't start out with names, they came as we progressed through their creation. Bruce has a bung wing - he couldn't fly straight if he tried. As for Struwth - full name Struwth it's Ruth, she is a mischevious corella who likes to hide from everyone.

Last week she disappeared from rehearsals. Noone knew where she had gone. It turned out she chose the wrong bus and went to McKenzie Creek. Struwth did not miss us at all. At least she came back for the dress rehearsal!

The night of the dress rehearsal was amazing. Huge flocks of hand made corella puppets flying around the sound shell next to the Wimmera River. Even the real corellas were interested and watched the proceedings.


There were dancers, singers, and the most amazing performing troupe called Strange Fruit. This performing troupe working on the top of poles swaying back and forth passing puppets, dancing, and interacting with the the puppeteers on the ground. I tell you,I couldn't have been on top of those poles if you paid me - I just have to watch them for too long and I have the worst case of motion sickness - but - of what I could manage they were superb.



It was a once in a life time event and I am so glad I took part. Of the children I spoke to  they all were so happy and excited that they were in the event.


No comments:

Post a Comment